Edge & Node is a creative software development company working to build a vibrant, decentralized future. Founded by the initial team behind The Graph, Edge & Node is dedicated to the advancement of web3, a decentralized and fair internet where public data is available to all—an internet that enables its users to increase agency over their creations and their lives.
Edge & Node’s initial product is The Graph, an indexing protocol for querying networks like Ethereum and IPFS, which ensures open data is always available and easy to access. The Graph is used by thousands of protocols and dapps including Uniswap, Livepeer, Aave, Decentraland, and more.
The Research & Protocol group at Edge & Node drives fundamental improvements to The Graph protocol by designing new capabilities and solving novel research challenges. We collaborate with developers and the product team to turn our ideas into productized solutions.
We are looking for an experienced system architect to work within the engineering team to integrate systems thinking into all aspects of our engineering projects from inception to completion. The exemplary candidate will have a background in distributed systems engineering, software engineering, system engineering, or a related field and will have a knack for seeing a system as the product of the interaction of its components. This is an extremely collaborative role and will require exceptional communication, teaming, and documentation skills working as part of multidisciplinary projects with engineers, product managers, and leadership to develop and deliver novel results.
What You’ll Be Doing
- Work as part of the research & protocol team, within the larger engineering organization
- Assess the current protocol from a systems perspective and offer data-driven tradeoffs for objectively derived solutions
- Develop novel solutions - driving systems thinking and design into these solutions as part of the larger team
- Integrating the tookits of economics, cryptography, and distributed systems, while exercising judgment and first-principles thinking to produce system design improvements that satisfy a complex set of business strategy, product, technical, and user experience requirements
- Staying abreast of the latest research and applications in blockchain scaling, peer-to-peer networks, authenticated data structures, ZKP cryptography and evangelizing important developments to influence The Graph’s system design and technical roadmap
- Document ideas and solutions and work within The Graph ecosystem to generate community-driven consensus to push ideas forward
What We Expect
- Strong technical educational background in software engineering, distributed systems engineering, or a related field; advanced degree preferred
- 5+ years of related work experience, working as a system designer, system integrator, or system architect as part of technical design teams, with a proven track record of seeing multidisciplinary projects through production (with continued support in operations and maintenance)
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills, with an eye for robust documentation
- Experience working on multidisciplinary projects with engineers, product managers, and leadership; blockchain, cryptography, and/or economics experience preferred
- Adept at using organizational, project management, and data tools and ability to understand and interact with code produced by engineering teams
- Self-directed, proactive, self-starter who is comfortable with the autonomy of working in a remote setting
- Proven track record of producing solutions for complex problems in a dynamic environment, against requirements, under time constraints
About the Graph
The Graph is the indexing and query layer of web3. The Graph Network’s self service experience for developers launched in July 2021. Developers build and publish open APIs, called subgraphs, that applications can query using GraphQL. The Graph supports indexing data from multiple different networks including Ethereum, NEAR, Arbitrum, Optimism, Polygon, Avalanche, Celo, Fantom, Moonbeam, IPFS, and PoA with more networks coming soon. To date, tens-of-thousands of subgraphs have been deployed on the hosted service, and now subgraphs can be deployed directly on the network. Over 28,000 developers have built subgraphs for applications such as Uniswap, Synthetix, KnownOrigin, Art Blocks, Balancer, Livepeer, DAOstack, Audius, Decentraland, and many others.
If you are a developer building an application or web3 application, you can use subgraphs for indexing and querying data from blockchains. The Graph allows applications to efficiently and performantly present data in a UI and allows other developers to use your subgraph too! You can deploy a subgraph to the network using the newly launched Subgraph Studio or query existing subgraphs that are in the Graph Explorer. The Graph would love to welcome you to be Indexers, Curators and/or Delegators on The Graph’s mainnet. Join The Graph community by introducing yourself in The Graph Discord for technical discussions, join The Graph’s Telegram chat, and follow The Graph on Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, Facebook, Reddit, and Medium! The Graph’s developers and members of the community are always eager to chat with you, and The Graph ecosystem has a growing community of developers who support each other.
The Graph Foundation oversees The Graph Network. The Graph Foundation is overseen by the Technical Council. Edge & Node, StreamingFast, Messari, Semiotic and The Guild are five of the many organizations within The Graph ecosystem.